The following recipe for a Broccoli-Chicken-Rice Skillet Casserole with a cheese sauce is from reader H.S.. This recipe serves six adults.
- 3 cups chicken stock (or water)
- 1 cup brown rice (12 ounces
- 4 cups (12 oz.) broccoli crowns
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup nonfat or low-fat yogurt (I use the Greek style)
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a medium pot. Add rice, cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, then add the broccoli florets to the pot. Replace the cover and cook it for an additional 10 minutes. (Do not cook according to package directions; you want to undercook the rice.) Remove from heat and set aside.
- As soon as you put broccoli in the rice pot, preheat oven to 400°F and start making the cheese sauce. Whisk flour and milk in a large skillet to combine. Bring to a boil over medium to medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened and coats the back of the spoon, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and stir in the Cheddar cheese until melted. Add yogurt. (And salt and/or pepper, if desired.)
- Fold the rice and broccoli mixture, shredded chicken, and almonds into the cheese sauce. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer the mixture to a medium-sized casserole dish (or if your skillet is oven-safe, just bake it in the skillet.) Mix the breadcrumbs and olive oil in a small bowl; sprinkle over the top of the casserole. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the topping is golden and the dish is warmed through.
Do you have a favorite recipe that would be of interest to SurvivalBlog readers? In this weekly recipe column, we place emphasis on recipes that use long term storage foods, recipes for wild game, dutch oven and slow cooker recipes, and any that use home garden produce. If you have any favorite recipes, then please send them via e-mail. Thanks!